Saturday, August 13, 2011

You vs. Me...Who REALLY Wins?

Mr. Right and I were having a serious conversation the other day after seriously getting on each other's nerves. He said to me, "Why does it always seem like a power struggle in our relationship?"

Hmmm....

Well, I got to thinking about various "power struggles" that I have witnessed in the lives of those around me. I've actually been thinking about this for awhile, and to be honest, it feels good to have an opportunity to get these thoughts out.

What is it about human nature that conditions people to think that they always have things worse than others? I hear people having these conversations all.the.time. It seems as if people often want someone else to acknowledge that yes, your situation IS worse than mine, or that yes, you do have more stress in your life than I do in mine.

It seem as if people are always trying to "one-up" one another with the degrees of how bad things in their life are. While I'm guilty of this in my closest, most intimate relationships, I am trying to become more aware of how I treat others. If someone I love has had a difficult day (or a string of difficult days), I am going to try my hardest to show some compassion to that person instead of rambling on about how stressful things are in my life. I often find that personally, I have very little to complain about. After a year of reality checks and reminders of things that can truly change a life, I've realized that it's more important to focus on the things in life that really make ME happy. I tend to be way too much of a people-pleaser, typically giving up parts of myself to ensure the comfort of particular loved ones, which is something that is about to change, but that's for a different post. :)

Anyway, why can't people just support each other's difficulties and acknowledge that yes, we all face struggles and triumphs? I don't think that a little compassion ever hurt anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment