Monday, August 8, 2011

Technology Overload!

Today, I made a major life change.

For the past year, my Android powered smartphone has been attached to my hip 99% of the time allowing me to check our friendly social networking site, Facebook, my personal email account, and anything else that I wanted to search online with just a simple touch of my finger. I've thought a lot lately about the purpose of a gadget that allows me to do so many things so easily and I decided that it's something that I really do not need in my day-to-day life.

Today, I made a major life change and downgraded my semi-fancy smartphone to the regular old talk and text phone that I had before I allied myself with the addictive LG Ally.

Since I'm in the minority with this decision, I'm going to justify it to myself (and anyone who happens to read this blog).

It's occurred to me several times in the past few months that I spend way too much time connected to my cell phone, computer, etc. in lieu of spending time living life. After really thinking about what's important to me, I decided that I need to be spending time with the people I love doing the things that I love. I don't need to check Facebook 75 times a day to find real happiness.

When I think back to my dependence on this phone, I disgust myself. How many conversations have I missed out on with Mr. Right and my family because I was glued to the phone. (How many arguments has the aforementioned behavior caused?) While my new/old phone also has Internet capability, I opted out of my old data package. When I calculated the annual cost of data that Mr. Right and I have spent, I was astonished. We paid HUNDREDS of dollars for Internet access on our phones when we didn't really need it. I can think of plenty of places where that extra cash can fill in now...

I guess what this really boils down to is what I really want out of life. I've thought a lot lately about the things that truly make me happy, and when it comes down to it, it's not some silly phone or the disgruntled ramblings on Facebook that fulfill me. While I'll still use Facebook to stay connected with people (and let's be honest - there are some people with whom we'd never communicate with if it weren't for Facebook), but it won't be to the extent of my former Facebook Fanaticism.

It looks like I'm going to have more time to spend with my family, to take walks and really enjoy the scenery, to soak in the conversations that Mr. Right and I have on long car rides, to read a good book, to read the Good Book, to enjoying long heart-to-hearts with good friends...the list is endless.


What I do know is that I'm looking for easy ways to simplify my crazy-busy, hectic lifestyle. If downgrading my phone is the first baby-step, I'm all for it. Who knows? I might be forced to actually have a conversation with someone face to face instead of through a virtual world.

And you know what?

I'm totally okay with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment